Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
09/15 – 12/15
Carried Out By Greenplans
Waste to (positive) Energy - Technical Concept Recycling – Cash for work and labour intensive approaches
The project aimed to develop Income generation models through collecting and processing of recyclable waste will have a conflict reducing effect on the civil society and reduce the environment impact in the refugee hosting communities Irbid, Ramtha und Mafraq, Jordan. The key activities included: defining the appropriate recycling strategies for the concerned municipalities, identifying possible implementing partners of each of the three designated municipalities, and developing technical recycling concepts for each municipality. The main objective of this project is to review the current waste generation and consumption as well as existing material recovery actions in the three local Municipalities at the Governorates of Irbid and Mafraq (Greater Irbid, Greater Mafraq, and Wasatiyyah), and define technical implementation concept for every municipality and enable GIZ to pilot different recycling projects and pilot plants. The scope of the project included the following activities:
- Assessment and re-confirm the actual activities on material recovery and processing in the three host communities.
- Coordination with the UNDP project “Mitigating the impact of the Syrian refugee crisis on Jordanian vulnerable host communities” to assess potential linkages.
- Defining of the most appropriate recycling strategies for the municipalities with different approaches which included the following tasks:
- Waste characterisation (source, rates, composition, etc.)
- Possibilities for waste minimisation and source separation
- Recommendations on how to involve the informal sector
- Coordination with other waste management and recycling projects in Jordan
- Preparation of business case based on composting organic waste
- assess possibilities for implementing pilot facilities, including business case marketing study
- Identification of possible implementing partners for of each of the three municipalities regarding: level of knowledge, existing qualifications, and financial situation and capability.
- Preparation of recommendations and technical report for the three municipalities
- Presentation of report and findings.
Attend meetings with representatives of GIZ, MoMA, local NGOs and municipalities as required.